Frequently asked questions

housing requirements

Where can I find out more about housing issues at RMIT?

The RMIT accommodation website has comprehensive information about resources

What is a bond?

A bond is a security deposit (usually equal to one month’s rent) that you pay to the landlord at the start of your tenancy. When you pay a bond the landlord should sign a Bond Lodgement form and give you the form to sign. The bond money and the form should then be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA) within 10 days

If at the end of your tenancy the landlord believes you damaged the property or if you have unpaid rent owing they can make a claim for all or part of your bond as compensation

The Tenants Union of Victoria (TUV) produces a useful fact sheet on bonds

Tip: Check that you receive a written receipt for the bond and all other payments that you make

What is a condition report?​

The condition report provides evidence of the condition of the property when you moved in. It documents cleanliness, fixtures and fittings and any existing damage or faults.

The report is essential as it may help you defend a bond claim or compensation claim for damage or cleaning costs at the conclusion of your tenancy.

Ensure you go through the property room by room when you first move in and make comments on the condition report if you find any damage (such as marks on the walls, carpet stains etc). Once the form is completed and signed return it to the landlord within three business days of moving into the premises.

Tip: We recommend you take photos of the property as this will help to support your comments on the condition report.